Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The difference between boys and girls...


is sometimes shocking to me. For instance, take this beautiful bouquet, made from re-purposed egg cartons, pipe cleaners, foam cut-outs and an empty juice bottle. Nick made it for during bible study the other day. When Emily first saw it she said it was beautiful, I said the same. Later, when I again thanked for the 'flowers' he replied "It's not flowers, it's just garbage." I couldn't believe it, how do you explain recycling to a three-year old? In his mind this was just stuff we usually throw away. So, I said "well they are not real flowers, but they are pretend flowers and I love them!" He just gave me a look that only Nick can give me, it never fails to make me feel that he is thinking he is looking at an idiot, but he will humor me. So I let it drop. Later that same evening, Dan came home and was talking to the kids about what they had done that day. He asked Nick about the flowers he made for me. Nick looked at him and in a somewhat hushed tone he said "It's just garbage but we're pretending that they are flowers." He said it as though he thought the whole idea was nuts! Maybe it is. But, in this mothers eyes they are beautiful!

2 comments:

Jody said...

What a great story! I'm doing a scrap layout along those exact lines. And I too, have my beautiful 'flowers' right by my sink, so I can look at them often. Glad I finally found your blog! Your doggy is cute too. =)

Christal said...

You have a cute blog! I will have to come back!